Explore your Norfolk Island family history

1 Posted by - 12 June 2013 - Feature stories, Special offers

The winners of the 5 Norfolk Island Deaths: 1st Settlement 1788 – 1814 CDs are…. Congratulations to Dierdre Wilkinson, Chez Leggatt, Susan Hammond, Noeleen McRae and Terence Fulton!

Please send your address details to cass[at]insidehistory.com.au

=======================================================================================

Historian Cathy Dunn, who published Norfolk Island Deaths: 1st Settlement 1788 – 1814, is continuing her early Norfolk Island research with historian Liz McCoy.

Their current project is the Rev. Henry Fulton’s Baptism, Burial and Marriage records of 1801 – 1806, slated for publication in March 2014. The project includes more than 150 baptisms, many for babies born between 1796 and 1800, a period in Norfolk Island’s history from which few records survive.

The historians are researching further details to fill in the picture of Fulton’s Register – including the details of the next generation of families whose antecedents are listed in the Register, as well as cross-references to names mentioned in other primary records, such as victualling books, population returns, land grants and shipping records. This follows on from Cathy’s earlier research on deaths in Norfolk Island. There were more than 260 deaths during the first settlement of Norfolk Island. In researching her book Norfolk Island Deaths, Cathy painstakingly checked all primary records for Norfolk Island references to deaths, including journals and diaries, letters, musters, church records, victualling books, population returns and much more.

The book contains a burial list giving the full details of each person and their family, their status (convict or free) and date of arrival to NSW and Norfolk Island. Photographs of headstones accompany many of the entries. The new compilation of the Fulton Register has identified many anomalies in the records – such as Marg Buchannon, whose death on 29 May 1805 was recorded in the Rev. Fulton’s Burial List, while the 1805 Muster listed her under the name of Marg Clarke.

Cathy is giving away 5 copies of Norfolk Island Deaths: 1st Settlement 1788 – 1814 to readers of Inside History.

Simply comment on this blog post and tell us when the HMS Sirius was sunk off Norfolk Island.

Thinking of heading to Norfolk Island? Check out Cathy’s History Lover’s Norfolk Island Tour next year…

Norfolk has a unique beauty of its own, with its renowned tall majestic pines, sheer cliff faces, coral reefs and beautiful beaches. Almost one third of the island is devoted to National Parks and Reserves. But Norfolk Island is far more than a picturesque island in the South Pacific; it is paradise with a past. What was once a convict’s nightmare is now the tranquil home of the descendants from the Mutiny on the Bounty, who have their own unique culture and their own language.

Next year historian Cathy Dunn is conducting the History Lovers Norfolk Island Tour, March 14 – 21 2014, which will include:

• Special discount airfare from Sydney and Brisbane and 7 nights accommodation
  • Historic cemetery tour
  • Twilight dinner and tour of world heritage and the convict days of ole, at the Kingston Convict Settlement
  • History in the Making tour: journey back in time and participate in recreating some of the tasks necessary for survival in Norfolk Island’s early settlements
  • Discover the history of the Sirius shipwreck from 1790
  • History and genealogy research workshop
  • Discover Our World tour – marvel at the beauty and heritage of Norfolk Island
  • Visit Captain Cook’s 1774 landing place
  • and much more!

Further details on the History Lovers Norfolk Island tour 2014 is available at www.australianhistoryresearch.info or phone Cathy on 02 44554780.

nla.pic-an21511971-vThe Melancholy Loss of HMS Sirius off Norfolk Island March 19th 1790

Other useful links:
Issue
HMS Sirius – click here
Norfolk Island Museum – click here
KAVHA Public Research Centre – click here

66 Comments

Irmela McIntyre 12 June 2013 - 10:58 pm Reply

My husband’s great great grandparents were second fleeters who part of the first settlement of Norfolk Island. The were eventually resettled and granted land in Hobart where the Wrest Point Casino now stands. It is hard to imagine how difficult it must have been for these people to create homes for themselves and their families on the Island and then to be relocated to Tasmania some twenty years later to start all over again.
    We look forward to travelling to Norfolk Island in the near future to visit the first home of these very brave and enterprising ancestors.
    The hms Sirius was shipwrecked in 19th March 1790 off Norfolk Island

Cassie Mercer 13 June 2013 - 9:01 am Reply

They were very difficult times, thanks for sharing your family’s story Irmela. Into the draw you go.

Michelle Lowe 9 August 2015 - 8:24 pm Reply

Hi Irmela,

I was reading your comment and at the start I thought this sounds like my ancestors, then I saw the part about Wrest Point Casino and they are my ancestors as well, only they are my great, great, great, great grandparents. Glad to see another descendant out there.

Lynne Bone 13 June 2013 - 9:28 am Reply

This is from a report I wrote after visiting Norfolk Island in 2006 …
    see here …http://www.annforbes.org/2011/07/24/lynnes-trip-to-norfolk-island/
    My First Fleeter Ann FORBES was to ‘marry’ William DRING who had offered to go out to the Sirius wreck, and throw overboard the supplies so that they could wash onshore … but got drunk started himself a fire (to warm himself ?) and burnt it to the water !!!

“In March this year, 2006, we made a trip to Norfolk Island – a place we have always wanted to visit.

The courtesy bus dropped us off at our home for the next week – “Islander Lodge” and we made our way up the walkway to the units. Tagging along at the end of the group, I stopped to take a breather and turned around to look at the view.

Whack !!! ….. like a thump in the chest, it took my breath away and the tears welled up in my eyes.

Don’t ask me why !……sure the view was beautiful, but it was more than that.

Our Ann” had arrived at Norfolk Island on board the “Sirius” on ‘Saterday’ morn 13th March 1790, along with her partner George Bannister but Lt. Ralph Clark reported ….”Stood in for Sydney Bay – – Saw the colours at the higher flag Staff but no flag at the lower flag Staf – – from ther no flag flying there found that the Boats could not land ……” ……So she would have come ashore around at Cascade Bay on either 13th or 14th March, the surf at the “Landing place” at Sydney Bay, not being suitable.

The “Sirius” then put out to sea from Cascade Bay when conditions there deteriorated to return to Sydney Bay on Friday morning 19th March 1790.

We, arrived at Norfolk Island on Saturday 18th March 2006, so at midday on the next day, 216 years later, I was down at the shore, imagining what it would have been like for them to see the “Sirius” go onto the reef ( Ralph Clark reporting again) ……..” about 12 oClock the[y] Endevoured to put her about but She would not stay – – She got in the trof of the Sea which forst her Stern formost on the Reef – – as the Bell rung 12 oClock She Struck” ….”

Deborah 14 June 2013 - 10:22 am Reply

My Husband’s relatives consist of two first fleeters and their wives from the second fleet both were moved to N.I , then on to Tasmania, except for one Bartholmew Reardon who died on the island 1/5/1807 along with two of his sons. Hope to visit this amazing place in the near future.

dierdre wilkinson 14 June 2013 - 4:10 pm Reply

never liked history at school,
    strange the older you get the more you want to learn
    about your history or those that have been before you

Kerri 14 June 2013 - 4:31 pm Reply

I am a descendant of the Hodgetts family who arrived on Norfolk Island in 1800. Thomas Hodgetts was appointed as a Constable and then worked as a Blacksmith. My 4 times Great Grandfather James Hodgetts was born on Norfolk Island in 1804.
    The HMS Sirius was sunk off Norfolk Island March 19 1790.

Noeleen McRae 14 June 2013 - 8:07 pm Reply

HMS Sirius sunk off Norfolk Island March 19th 1790.

My two convict ancestors, William Presnell and Ann Fowler were both single when they were sent to Norfolk Island prior to 1801. We have never found a marriage but children were born to them in 1801, 1802 and 1804 on Norfolk Island, followed by one more child born in Hobart Town in 1808. William, Ann with their children William, Elizabeth and Thomas, arrived in VDL on 2nd October 1808 on “City of Edinburgh”. William received a Conditional Pardon in Hobart on 7 September 1816 and an Absolute Pardon in August 1821.

Cassie Mercer 17 June 2013 - 8:47 pm Reply

The winners of 5 Norfolk Island Deaths: 1st Settlement 1788 – 1814 CDs are…. Congratulations to Dierdre Wilkinson, Chez Leggatt, Susan Hammond, Noeleen McRae and Terence Fulton!

Please send your address details to cass@insidehistory.com.au

Graham Buckingham 14 June 2013 - 9:00 pm Reply

Wendy_C 14 June 2013 - 9:28 pm Reply

So interesting !

Courtney Dettman 14 June 2013 - 11:19 pm Reply

History has come one of my passions. Because of it, we are who we are today.

The HMS Sirius sunk off Norfolk Island March 19th 1790.

sharron smith 15 June 2013 - 7:37 am Reply

I have been facinated with Norfolk Island for many many years i am planning and hoping to visit next few year HMS Sirius sunk 19th March 1790

Tony 15 June 2013 - 7:59 am Reply

Would love to read more about our local history

Nicola James 15 June 2013 - 9:35 am Reply

The HMS Sirius sank off Norfolk Island March 19th 1790

kate james 15 June 2013 - 11:23 am Reply

HMS Sirius sunk off Norfolk Island March 19, 1970

T.R.Fulton 15 June 2013 - 11:59 am Reply

I am a direct descendent of the Rev. Henry Fulton. He is my 6 x Great Grandfather. Great to read that Cathy Dunn is doing the research on baptisms and burials, this type of information can be extremely difficult to obtain. Especially for those tracing early Australian family history.
    Well done cathy.
    H.M.S. Sirius was sunk march 19th 1790. A tragic event for the young colony.
    Terence R. Fulton
    Rosedale, Victoria.

Melissa 15 June 2013 - 2:26 pm Reply

Kaz Reimann 15 June 2013 - 3:09 pm Reply

March 19th 1790

Incredibly sad – I absolutely love our country – I often get teased by friends and family for not travelling overseas… Why do I need to? We have it all here – history, diverse landscapes, quirky characters, friendly people and amazing stories

celine 15 June 2013 - 7:44 pm Reply

HMS Sirius sunk off Norfolk Island March 19th 1790

This would be a fascinating read!

faye hannam 15 June 2013 - 8:13 pm Reply

Sounds like an interesting read… such an amazing place.
    “HMS Sirius sunk off Norfolk Island March 19th 1790″

Deb Cameron 15 June 2013 - 9:25 pm Reply

One of my ancestors, Mary Springham died on Norfolk Island. Her husband sailed on the HMS Sirius on the first fleet. His name was William Hambley and he was a shipwright. He lived on Norfolk Island before he relocated to Tasmania.

Susan Taylor 17 February 2017 - 3:38 pm Reply

hi Deb,

I am a descendant of Mary Springham and William Hambly also. I have a copy of Trish Woods book, ‘The Convict and the Carpenter’ and as there is not much information in it about Mary I have been searching the Internet which is where I found this site and your entry.

Susan

Laura Jilka 20 June 2013 - 9:57 pm Reply

March 19th 1790

Elizabeth Guenter 21 June 2013 - 10:46 am Reply

Amanda Harris 21 June 2013 - 11:03 am Reply

Amanda Gorham 21 June 2013 - 1:23 pm Reply

HMS Sirius sunk off Norfolk Island March 19th 1790

I wish I could say that either mine or my hubby’s family has links to the history of Norfolk Island. Hubby took me there back in 2001 and it was so beautiful! Would love a copy of the book regardless…

My daughter goes to school with a Quintal…. Yes clutching at straws I know…

Maria Scalzo 21 June 2013 - 1:40 pm Reply

Catherine Dengate 21 June 2013 - 2:51 pm Reply

Glenda McDonnell 21 July 2013 - 11:26 am Reply

Jessica Wolfinger 7 February 2014 - 7:15 pm Reply

I am a direct descendant of Fane Strange Edge, who was Provost Marshal of Norfolk Island. We named our 2nd Son, Fane Edge, after him. Ironically my Paternal Grandparents moved and lived on Norfolk Island until my Granda’s death in 1978. He is buried at Norfolk Island. My Nanna moved back to Sydney, then Adelaide until her death. She also is buried at Norfolk Island.

Tracey MacKay 17 January 2017 - 10:27 am Reply

Hello Jessica,
      I am Capt Fane/Phaon direct descendant. I am his 5th GG Daughter the line to me is
      Fane (Phaon) Edge Capt ( – 1803) m Sarah Rushton
      Blanche Margaret Howard (1881-1963) m Albert Edward Goddard
      had daughter
      Joyce Norma Amelia Goddard (1913-1999) m Bain Wilson Matthews
      had daughter
      Judith Margaret Joy Matthews (1933- current) m Victor Henry MacKay
      to me Tracey MacKay

Id love to know how we connect through this line of family??
      regards
      Tracey

Margaret Catherine Mathews (1816 – 1886)
      daughter of Hannah Edge
      Amelia Smith
      daughter of Margaret Catherine Mathews
      Blanche Margaret Howard (1881 – 1963)
      daughter of Amelia Smith
      Joyce Norma Amelia Goddard (1913 – 1999)
      daughter of Blanche Margaret Howard
      Judith Margaret Joy Matthews (1933 – )
      daughter of Joyce Norma Amelia Goddard
      Tracey Michelle Mackay

Sue Hull (nee Eaton) 26 March 2014 - 12:08 am Reply

I am also a direct descendant of Fane Edge (Phaon Edge). His daughter, Mary Ann, born 1793, married John Thomas Holford in Sydney, June 1812. Their daughter, Jane Catherine, born 1818, married Matthew John Duncan. January 1834.Their daughter and Fane Edge’s great granddaughter, Emma Rebecca Duncan, married my great grandfather, George Eaton and had 10 children. My grandfather, Henry Charles Eaton was the youngest. George Eaton was born in Southgate, Middlesex in 1838. Died 7th Jan. 1903. Emma Rebecca Duncan was born 13th March 1841. Died 6th Nov. 1916 in Sydney.

karen 26 July 2015 - 7:50 pm Reply

hi sue

Jessica Wolfinger 7 February 2014 – 7:15 pm

Sue Hull (nee Eaton) 26 March 2014 – 12:08 am

Tracey MacKay 8 February 2017 - 1:08 am Reply

Hi Sue Hull (Eaton) ,
      we are cousins :) your ‘mary ann’ Edge, and her sister Hannah are our links, their parents Fane Strange and wife Sarah Rushton are our ‘common grandparents’ (my 5th great grandparents)
      Be lovely to catch up, please do email me or give me a call
      lady.tm.mackay [@] gmail.com
      Im in Melbourne Aust.
      warm regards
      Tracey

Sarah Trevor 13 February 2017 - 7:06 pm Reply

Hi Tracey, just letting you know we’ve removed your mobile number from your comment just in case it attracted spammers etc. Best of luck linking up with your newfound distant cousins!

Robyn CULL (nee Marsh) 14 June 2014 - 3:36 am Reply

Competition over and I have just discovered you !! I am a direct descendent of several of the Mutineers with John ADAMS being one of my 5th great grandfathers through his only son George. My paternal grandmother is Doris (Dolly) CHAPMAN from Catherine Clavadina (Kitty) DUFTY. I was last on Norfolk in late 1985 and am hoping for a few weeks back there in the next year. Can’t wait !!

Dawn 13 October 2014 - 3:27 pm Reply

Are there any more details about John Badcock died 1807 His gravestone is often shown in Norfolk Island cemetery photos.

ALLE LLOYD 28 June 2015 - 4:49 pm Reply

My great great great grandfather, Matthew Miller, who Anglicised his name from Matthias Muller was sent c. 1828 to Norfolk Island when it had been reopened as a penal colony. My family believe he died in 1840 but have no record to prove this. He was sentenced for life for the murder of his second wife in the 7th week of their marriage. I was wondering if anyone can assist me to find out more about his fate. He wound up in Australia for desertion from the King’s German Legion in Messina, Sicily, where he had been fighting against Napoleon. He married and had 2 children, a boy, zjoseph and a girl, Jane, who ended up in the girls’ orphan school when about 10 due to her father’s sentence.

bet knight 15 October 2015 - 12:29 pm Reply

Hi Alle
      Matthias Muller/Matthew Miller was my ggg Grandfather and like you am having a terrible time with where Matthew went after his trial. Just cant find anything and am now thinking that because he was so well liked by the “powers that be” did he manage to get away.
      haver just found a newspaper article that states his daughter Jane was present at the house when they found his 2nd wife dead in bed: The Sydney Gazette & NSW Advertiser Monday 1st December 1828
      Now that is so sad she was only 10 yrs old nothing is mentioned of his son Joseph whom I believe died 1856 on the Lachlan River & is buried at Hartley with his daughter (not absolutely proven yet)
      I look forward to hearing from you and having someone else looking for him.
      bye for now
      bet

Robyn Mullins 1 February 2016 - 6:39 pm Reply

Hi Alle,
      Just read your comment on Matthew Miller. I am also descended from Matthew, he being my 4xGreat Grandfather. I do not know where he died but wondered if you had any replies to your comments and that you now know where he died and was buried.
      Can I also ask where your line goes after Matthew?

Regards Robyn

bet knight 1 August 2016 - 7:43 pm Reply

Hi Robyn I am back on the trail of Matthias Muller/Matthew Miller who was my g-g grandmother if you would like to contact me via email we can compare notes. If you prefer I am on f/b as betty knight
        look forward to hearing from you
        cheers Bet

Paul Finlay 10 October 2016 - 11:03 pm Reply

My wife ,Ellen is a grand-daughter of Blake Robey Miller(1866-1962).His father was Joseph Milerr and his mother’s maiden name was Strickland. Matthew Miller (or Matthias Mueller) had a son Joseph and. daughter Jane. I just wonder if this is the same Joseph Miller.

Gayle 1 November 2016 - 2:15 am Reply

Hi all, I am also a descendant of Matthias Muller aka Matthew/Mathew Miller. Bet Knight, can I message you via facebook? Paul Finlay, right family just down a generation, Joseph Miller who married Mary Ann Strickland was the son of Joseph Miller who was the son of Matthew Miller aka Matthias Miller. Robyn my line goes Matthew/Matthias to son Joseph Miller to daughter Maryanne Miller who married Charles Saint Baker.

bet knight 7 November 2016 - 2:33 pm Reply

Hi Gayle
      Please, yes, message me on f/b you are the closest I have to Joseph, I am from Jane’s line. Like you I am trying to locate Matthew after his trial he seems to have disappeared although I believe he was so well liked & so much sympathy for him that maybe he was wisked away…..
      look forward to hearing from you

bye for now
      Bet

Sarah Trevor 8 November 2016 - 8:25 pm Reply

Hi Bet, thanks for your comment – just letting you know we’ve removed the link to your Facebook profile just in case it attracted spammers etc, but have shared it with Gayle privately so she can contact you. All the best to both of you with your research!

bet knight 27 November 2016 - 10:54 am Reply

Gayle 9 November 2016 - 8:44 am Reply

Thank you Sarah, I have messaged Bet, please check your message requests Bet Knight, if anyone else in this thread would like to make contact leave a message here.

Paul Finlay 15 November 2016 - 12:59 pm Reply

We, Ellen Finlay (née Miller ) and Paul Finlay, have spent a lot of time on the Ancestry and My Heritage web sites trying to find out about our ancestors. As you are all well aware, there are many mistakes in regards to birth, death and marriage dates.In relation to Matthew Miller, all of the above people say they are great, great granddaughters ( or add another great) of Matthew Miller( or Matthias Mueller or Muller).We would like to find the link that goes from Joseph( Matthew’s son) to either another Joseph Miller(the father of Blake Robey Miller 1866-1962).Also on one site, I found that Jane Miller married George Cooper and had a child and on other sites they had no children. If any of you Matthew Miller descendants are current members of Ancestry or My Heritage, could you please contact us on our e-mail address of pnefinlay@activ8.net.au so that we can look at your tree to see the proper connection. Regards, Paul and Ellen Finlay,Camooweal,4828, Queensland.

bet knight 31 December 2016 - 11:24 am Reply

Hi Paul,
      Jane Sarah Miller b: 11 June 1818 at Windsor NSW & d: 1851 Richmond River NSW was my g g grandmother. She married George John Cooper b:28 Aug 1808 Chatham, Kent, England & D: 19 Dec 1884 at Gundurimba NSW. They had 7 children including my g grandmother Ann Jane Cooper b: 10 Dec 1845 at Gundurimba NSW & d: 16 May 1916 at Chippendale, Sydney. Ann Jane married Edward Edwin Wright, they married 26 June 1867 at Wright’s Wharf Sussex St, Sydney, they had 13 children. Their daughter Blanche Eleanor Rosina Wright married Herbert Robert Peter Knight & they had 9 children one of which was my father George Daniel Knight. I have a great deal of information gathered over 40 years & the only stumbling block is where Matthias Muller/Matthew Miller went after being reprieved in 1828 in Sydney.
      I do not subscribe to Ancestry or My Heritage and only use them at the library when needed to access records as they have stolen all our early records.
      Cheers for now
      Bet Knight

bet knight 7 January 2017 - 8:47 pm Reply

Hi Paul,
        Like you I do hear of the 1840 death date for Matthew but am not happy to include in my records as there is no concrete evidence.
        My idea at the moment is that because he was so well liked that maybe he was shipped off somewhere to avoid being confined as a convict, but haven’t got any clues for it yet.
        Another idea is that his name was changed as if any other convicts recognised his name he may have been in danger…
        He certainly is a mystery I would like to work with you on this, I am on Facebook if you would like to request me as a friend I can stay in contact with you as I only come to this page occasionally.
        Bet Knight

Paul Finlay 1 January 2017 - 11:48 am Reply

Thanks Bet for your reply.The fact that all descendants of Matthias Mueller(aka Matthew Miller) have his death year of 1840, however it really intrigues me that not one of them have his place of death or where he is buried.How is it that you can have the year of death but not the place of death? I am still hopeful that I shall ascertain his place of death with a lot ore investigation. Happy New Year to you and your family. Regards, Paul Finlay.

GAYLE MURRAY 11 January 2017 - 12:07 am Reply

Hi Paul, I am a descendant of Joseph Miller, will send you an email. Gayle

GAYLE MURRAY 11 January 2017 - 1:39 pm Reply

The last record I have been able to find is Matthew Miller being sent to Norfolk Island on board the “Amity” 6 Feb 1830. I have contacted State Archives and this was part of their response. To assist you further I have also checked the following indexes and records to identify when Matthew Miller died, or if he was sent elsewhere, although this was without success. Those checked include:
    · TD Mutch: Card index to births, deaths and marriages, 1787-1957.
    · Pioneer series of indexes to births, deaths and marriages, 1788-1888.
    · NRS 12213 – Convict Death Register 1828-79.
    · List of 107 prisoners who died at Norfolk Island, 1 October 1836- 22 April 1842 [COD 226 (with letter 42/5520 in box 4/2583.1, pp. 40-43)].
    · Returns of the convict establishment on Norfolk Island, 1833-35, 1837-44 [4/7330; SR Reel 767].
    · Key Name Search. I note that our online index notes that a Matthew Miller is included in the Colonial Secretary Correspondence relating to land. I have checked the reference to [2/7928] on microfilm reel 1163, although this did not appear to relate to your Matthew Miller.

GAYLE MURRAY 21 January 2017 - 11:51 pm Reply

I found him!

GAYLE MURRAY 23 January 2017 - 12:18 pm Reply

New records available, he was definitely on Norfolk Island. In 1839 his sentenced was commuted to 7 years, and in 1843 it was recommended (and approved) that he be admitted into the first class.

GAYLE MURRAY 23 January 2017 - 3:59 pm Reply

Edit to above all the record is called letter recieved 1843, the date on the letter was Aug 1936, so the last record of him is 1839.

GAYLE MURRAY 23 January 2017 - 4:00 pm Reply

*1836

John B. Flanagan 31 March 2017 - 10:14 pm Reply

Greetings, I am trying to get info on my family when we were there i believe in 1969 and 1970…I attended kindergarten i believe in 1970..my father J. Roger Flanagan was with a small group of radio research engineers from Stanford University and they constructed a big Antenna array on the cliffs.. Larry Peidon?? Barry Research? All my 1st memory of life start here. I was adopted by the Flanagan family. They had a natural son named Tom.. or Thomas Flanagan. My mom’s name was Florence M. Flanagan I am just trying to get any photos and Info on my fathers work and anything else. I think my mother had my kindergarten teacher banished from the island. My parents are both deceased. Thanks for any information you can provide. John